“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
The dictionary defines self-worth as, “the sense of one’s own value or worth as a person.” In a world that teaches us to play small, is it any wonder that self-worth is one of the biggest issues to plague our personal and collective consciousness.
Respecting oneself is one of the most crucial aspect of life. How can we expect others to respect and appreciates us if we can’t even do this for ourselves?
So many people remain in crappy relationships and meaningless jobs because they simply don’t believe they deserve better. The issue: self worth. When self-worth is compromised, resignation and complacency prevail and life becomes nothing more than a humdrum, status-quo existence.
Robert Tew once said, “Respect yourself enough to walk away from anyone or anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.” I couldn’t agree more.
Self-worth is an inside job. As this week’s Unplug podcast guest, Janne Robinson writes, “When we act in alignment with ourselves, and with truth and fire and love and authenticity, we will never fail”
Janne is a freelance writer, poet, speaker, animal activist, and powerful voice for female empowerment. She’s a fellow Canuck—living in Victoria, BC—who writes for a plethora of inspirational online journals including: Elephant Journal, Huffington Post, Yogi Approved, Red Flag.org, Meraki, Folk Rebellion, Careerhearted, and Wild Woman Do.
Janne’s work empowers people to live authentically from their truths. Transparency is how she walks her talk. At 26 years young, she packs a heck-uv-alot of wisdom into her worldly offerings!
This week, we organically explore a wide range of topics including:
• The power of manifestation—for better or worse.
• We are all worthy!
• How we need to face our sh*t head on to reduce its power over us.
• You are what you love and not what loves you.
• Dealing with reactions and criticism.
• Dealing with the inner critic and the crowd of gremlins in our head.
• Expanding our comfort zone.
• Self-worth is only damaging when we give it away.
• Knowledge comes from words, wisdom comes from experience.
• Being willing to play big and come alive!
• Scarcity is an excuse to play small.
• “No” is a complete sentence.
• Breaking up with friends who don’t support and align with our purpose.
• What is true feminism?
• Empowered activism.
• Finding passion in our pain.
Janne is voice to be reckoned with and an inspiration for us all. Enjoy this week’s empowering conversation!
If Deb’s words hit home and you find value in her work, please donate: