“Follow your dreams, believe in yourself and don’t give up.” —Rachel Corrie
Sarah Smith is a full-time independent musician based in London, Ontario with a voice that’s often compared to Melissa Etheridge, Bonnie Raitt and Janis Joplin. Her songs are based on personal experiences about triumphing over tragedy and claiming your best self. She firmly believes that our vulnerabilities are what strengthen us.
Her story is one of growing up in a small town as a “farm girl”, as she puts it. Growing up naive to the world, she set off at a young age to find herself. Her path was a circuitous one that led her to places and spaces that would eventually take their toll on her psyche. Music was a gateway to her soul and the healing salve required to liberate herself from the addiction that led her astray.
Because of her past personal experiences, Sarah has a strong connection to mental health issues and she uses her voice to create awareness about mental health and addictions. She readily admits to the struggles of her own own inner demons, but with conscious awareness, she’s always striving to be better. She works diligently on her body, mind and soul to keep herself grounded in solidarity for her true self.
Sarah is a person who follows her heart and listens to her inner voice. This is a topic we speak about in great detail in this week’s show.
As an independent musician, it takes a lot of courage to do what she’s doing by running her own career without an agent, manager, or record label. She’s a true inspiration for anyone willing to follow their dreams.
In this week’s conversation we explore:
- The hunger to find yourself.
- Music as a gateway to the soul.
- Breaking free from the lone wolf syndrome and asking for help.
- Reawakening the community mindset.
- How spirituality keeps us grounded in ourselves.
- The powerful force of creative energy.
- Expressing our vulnerabilities through our creative outlets and claiming our inner power.
- How our heart never leads us astray.
- The importance of self-care to remain grounded.
- Living label-free as your authentic self.
- Coming out without the stigma.
- Redefining love.
- Consciously working through triggers.
- Navigating the inner critic.
Enjoy this week’s conversation with one of the hardest working people in music.
Are you inspired by this podcast? If so, here’s how you can fan the flame for the message:
1. Support the show!
Support the paradigm-altering Unplug movement on Patreon. Every little bit makes a difference!
2. Subscribe & Review the Show on iTunes:
Here’s a simple 5-step process to quickly rate, review and subscribe to the show.
You can also now subscribe to the show on Stitcher where the show will now be available all over the world on Stitcher mobile, tablet and web apps and, also in over 4 million in-car dashboards.
3. TELL A FRIEND ABOUT THE SHOW and spread the word FAR AND WIDE!
As always, thank you for listening and thank you for helping to co-create a better world!